IMMEDIATE DENTURES: ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES by lake lanier smiles
WHAT IS AN IMMEDIATE DENTURE
An Immediate denture is a denture placed immediately after the teeth have been removed. It might not look and function like a regular denture but it acts as a transition from having teeth to getting a new denture.
Always a denture fabricated after the tissue heals will be a much better fitted denture than an immediate denture.
Immediate denture is the only option to have function and esthetics for the patient after the teeth are removed and waiting for the tissues to heal.
Approximately 3-4 months after making immediate dentures, the dentures can be relined, rebased or a new denture will need to be made.
It is important to understand that there is nothing called a Permanent Denture because our mouth continue to change over time and even the best fitting denture will become loose eventually. So we at Lake Lanier Smiles advice patients to replace dentures every 5-10 years depending on the patient age, sex and use.
NOTE: Most Dental Insurances replace the dentures, both partial dentures and complete dentures every 5 years. Please talk to our dental Insurance specialist at Lake Lanier Smiles to know your dental benefits.
The most important advantage of an immediate denture is that you don’t have to go without the teeth. Below are some of the other advantages.
1. Duplication of the natural teeth. When some of the patient’s natural teeth are present will make it easy to duplicate the size, shape and form.
2. Healing Denture. Immediate dentures act as a healing denture holding the gums together and also reduces bleeding.
3. Protection from Irritants. Immediate dentures protect the extraction sites from irritation from food.
4. No speech Interferences. It is easy to speak when dentures are there because they replace the missing natural teeth. If teeth are not present then speech will be effected and once new dentures are made then it needs to be re-learned.
5. Chewing Capacity. Immediate dentures helps in chewing than chewing without teeth. Patients don’t have to eat soft food until permanent dentures are made.
6. Keep the natural appearance. Loosing natural teeth makes the check fall in and dentures help in prevention of the loss of natural appearance.
7. Easy Transition. Patients tend to have a smooth transition from natural teeth to immediate dentures and then final dentures than waiting for some time without teeth.
Immediate dentures are very useful but have some limitations. Here are some disadvantages of immediate dentures.
1. Additional Expense. Immediate dentures are new dentures but used for a short period of time only so it’s an extra expense. But the benefits overweight the additional expense.
2. Improper Fit. The fit of the immediate denture is not as good as final denture made after healing. But soft relines are used to make the dentures fit better.
3. No Try In. When fabricating the immediate dentures we cannot show the patient how the dentures look like until they are finished by the lab unlike the permanent dentures.
4. Extra Steps/ Time consuming. Patient needs to be seen couple of times for fitting and delivery of the immediate dentures. But it’s worth the time.
5. More Adjustments. In general an immediate denture needs more adjustments than a final denture.
COST OF IMMEDIATE DENTURES
Generally Immediate dentures cost $200 more than standard dentures, but at Lake Lanier Smiles we have made a commitment that we will have Immediate dentures at the same price as regular dentures.
OUR SPECIAL PRICE FOR IMMEDIATE DENTURE
NOTE: Unlike other offices where the prices are lower in one procedure and higher in rest, we at Lake Lanier Smiles offer 30-40% off on all procedures.
NOTE: We never charge for any adjustments. It takes more adjustments in Immediate Dentures than non-immediate dentures.
NOTE: Soft denture reline might be necessary with an Immediate denture but Lake Lanier Smiles offer at a nominal fee.
INSURANCE AND IMMEDIATE DENTURES
All most all dental insurances cover Immediate dentures like a standard denture. But most insurances have limited benefits like $1000- $1500. If a patient needs 10 extractions and each extraction is $100 than all the $1000 are spent in extractions and there is no insurance benefits available for Immediate dentures. So it is very important to plan for out-of-pocket costs for an Immediate denture.
If you have any questions about immediate dentures or your Oral Health or to make an appointment to see us, Call us at 770-831-0559 or visit us at WWW. LAKELANIERSMILES.COM for Valuable Coupons and Specials. Our prices are 30-50 % Off Regular Prices. Call Us before Noon and we will see you the Same Day. We accept most insurances. We are conveniently located just off I-985 at 4965 Lanier Islands Parkway, Suite 105, Buford, Ga- 30418. LAKE LANIER SMILES provides Affordable dental care with outstanding customer service to patients in Buford, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Cumming, Flowery Branch and surrounding areas.