Thursday, February 23, 2017
LAKE LANIER SMILES BLOG: HOW TO COPE DENTAL FEAR - TIPS AND TRICKS TO OVERC...: LAKE LANIER SMILES, AFFORDABLE BUFORD DENTIST HOW TO COPE DENTAL FEAR TIPS AND TRICKS TO OVERCOME DENTAL FEAR Everybody is afra...
LAKE LANIER SMILES, AFFORDABLE BUFORD DENTIST
HOW TO COPE DENTAL FEAR
TIPS AND TRICKS TO OVERCOME DENTAL FEAR
Everybody is afraid of something, some are afraid of heights, some are of closed spaces or spiders, or may be going to the dentist.
Day in and day out our patients tell that they didn't sleep well the night before the dental appointment or they have a stomach ache when they are going to the dentist.
Unfortunately you can't avoid a dental visit unlike staying away from heights or closed spaces or spiders.
This article explains the steps you can take in the dental office during the dental procedure.
DISCUSS WITH THE DENTIST
1. Tell the dentist and the dental team that you are anxious
2. Make shorter dental appointments
3. Let the dentist know what makes you nervous
4. Share your past dental experiences with the dentist
5. Let the dentist know if you are not numb enough
6. Your dentist at Lake Lanier Smiles can give larger dose of anesthesia before the treatment
7. Sharing any coping skills that worked for you at the older dentist office
8. Lake Lanier Smiles offers dark glasses for every patient
9. Our dentists recommend to listen to your music of choice
10. The dentists at our Buford dental office always explains briefly about the procedure to be done before they start the treatment
11. If you are curious about an instrument or equipment then ask our Buford dentist to tell how it works
12. Our Buford dental office team along with the dentist gives the patient full control by stopping anytime during the procedure by simple signal like raising the left hand
13. Please ask our dentists or dental assistant if you have any questions
DISTRACTION IS THE BEST ACTION
The dentists at our Buford dental office recommends following things to distract or take your mind off of the treatment.
1. Listening to your favorite music
2. Browsing the pictures of your recent trip
3. Squeezing a soft stress ball
4. Playing some games in your phone
5. Chatting with the dental assistants
TAKE A DEEP BREATHE
Our Buford dentists at Lake Lanier Smiles advise to do calming breathing exercises.
1. You can do breathing exercises before coming to the appointment or on the way to the appointment.
2. There are different breathing exercises you can do, but please consult a physician if you have any medical conditions
3. Try this calming breathe exercise: Take a long deep breathe through nose filling the lungs. Then hold the breathe for 3 seconds. Then exhale slowly through Mouth.
RELAX YOUR BODY
Lake Lanier Smiles dentists in Buford, Ga suggest the coping technique of relaxation along with effective anxiety breathing exercises.
Muscles that need to be relaxed are Face, throat, Jaw, Shoulders and Stomach.
Relaxation can also be achieved by deep breathing exercises, meditation and yoga.
Relaxing your body not only reduces the stress of the dental appointment but also boosts your energy and mood.
These are some of the coping techniques recommended by our Buford dentists. Please discuss with the dentist to formulate a custom coping technique for your dental fears.
If you have any questions about your Oral Health or to make an appointment to see us, Call us at 770-831-0559 or visit us at WWW. LAKELANIERSMILES.COM for Valuable Coupons and Specials. Our prices are 30-50 % Off Regular Prices. Call Us before Noon and we will see you the Same Day. We accept most insurances. We are conveniently located just off I-985 at 4965 Lanier Islands Parkway, Suite 105, Buford, Ga- 30418. LAKE LANIER SMILES provides Affordable dental care with outstanding customer service to patients in Buford, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Cumming, Flowery Branch and surrounding areas.
Sunday, January 29, 2017
LAKE LANIER SMILES BLOG: ROOT CANAL TREATMENT BY LAKE LANIER SMILES, BUFORD...: Root Canal Treatment When a patient hears the term “root canal” pertaining to them causes more anxiety than any other dental procedure....
Root Canal Treatment
When a patient hears the term “root canal” pertaining to them causes more anxiety than any other dental procedure.
I still picture the cartoon character with the rag tied around his head. However, it makes me chuckle because it is so inaccurate. Generally the procedure is virtually painless. However due to the infection or inflammation it may be more difficult for the patient to be anesthetized.
There have been so many advances in Dentistry that most patients experience no discomfort during or complications after the procedure. They are relieved to be out of pain and are questioning why they had all the fear and anxiety. Root canal treatment is a routine procedure and is performed with skill and expertise by our dentists at Lake Lanier Smiles.
WHAT IS A ROOT CANAL TREATMENT?
Root canal treatment is a procedure performed in your dentist’s office. Your dentist performs this procedure to remove damaged or dead pulp.
Pulp is a soft chamber that encases the nerves, connective tissue and blood vessels. The pulp chamber is inside of the root canal. The entire root canal and pulp chamber are cleaned out by your dentist using either an instrument called a reamer or an electrical rotary instrument. Both instruments are very effective in reshaping the canal.
Our Buford dentist office, Lake Lanier Smiles is equipped with the rotary machines to do efficient Root Canal Treatments.
The next step is to fill the canal with gutta per-cha, a rubber-like material. This step prevents contamination or infection from reoccurring.
The last step is sealing the canal. Your dentist at Lake Lanier Smiles will melt the ends of the gutta per-cha, permanently sealing the root canal.
Root canal therapy may sometimes require two or three additional visits to complete depending on the amount of infection. Usually a topical medication and a temporary filling will be applied. If your dentist recommends it, an antibiotic will be prescribed for 10 days. This will give your body time to heal the infection.
If after root canal therapy, a dental crown is not placed to protect the remaining tooth structure, there is a high chance of tooth fracture.
DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER TREATMENT OPTIONS?
Of course, you can have a surgical extraction if the tooth has been severely decayed or cracked.
This is usually the case when the tooth requires root canal therapy. If a permanent adult tooth has to be extracted, your dentist will recommended a bridge or Implant or Partial Denture to replace the missing tooth.
The bridge should be done quickly after the socket heals. Tooth loss causes the surrounding teeth to shift and move. This will affect the integrity of your bite and ability to properly chew. Jaw pain or TMJ can also develop due to an improper bite. The tooth above or below the extracted tooth will drop down or erupt into the voided space. This cannot be corrected and will cause additional extractions.
WILL I BE IN PAIN AFTER THE ROOT CANAL THERAPY?
You may experience some discomfort due to the tissue being inflamed or from having your mouth open for a long period. But these conditions are easily treated by using an over the counter pain reliever.
Some patients may require something a little stronger. Depending on their tolerance level and the extent of area their abscess has affected.
HOW TO MAINTAIN THE ROOT CANAL TOOTH?
It is very important to maintain your normal daily hygiene routine. Brushing and flossing twice a day, even around the completed root canal therapy. Reducing plague and bacteria is important in the healing process. You should avoid hard foods or candy around the area.
WHAT KIND OF COMPLICATIONS CAN I EXPECT?
Rarely will a patient have complications due to the root canal therapy.
There a rare instances that there is a crack in the root of the tooth that was not detected. This can result in the infection reoccurring. Another unusual complication is the seal leaks or the crown is ill fitting and has to be remade. Another complication is a hidden canal. Most teeth have one, two or three canals but it is possible to have a fourth canal in molars.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE REASONS A PATIENT WILL REQUIRE ROOT CANAL TREATMENT.
1. A fractured tooth, where the fracture is close to the pulp or nerve.
2. Deep decay that has penetrated the root canal.
3. A tooth that has had trauma or an injury that has killed the nerve.
4. An open margin on a crown that has caused leakage and decay under the crown.
If you have any questions about Root Canal Treatment or to make an appointment to see us, Call us at 770-831-0559 or visit us at WWW. LAKELANIERSMILES.COM for Valuable Coupons and Specials. Our prices are 30-50 % Off Regular Prices. Call Us before Noon and we will see you the Same Day. We accept most insurances. We are conveniently located just off I-985 at 4965 Lanier Islands Parkway, Suite 105, Buford, Ga- 30418. LAKE LANIER SMILES provides Affordable dental care with outstanding customer service to patients in Buford, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Cumming, Flowery Branch and surrounding areas.
Sunday, January 15, 2017
Treating Aging Dental Patients in Buford, Ga
Lake Lanier Smiles, Buford Dentist
As large parts of the US population is getting older, the dentists at Our Buford dental office are prepared to serve the dental needs of the aging patients.
The whole dental team in our dental office are on the same page in understanding the unique challenges an older individual may face.
The most common oral conditions we see in seniors are
1. DRY MOUTH: Also called as Xerostomia. The main reason for dry mouth is due to the medications seniors take.
Most seniors take an average of 3-5 prescription medications.
Dry mouth also causes burning in the mouth, fissured tongue, decay and cracked lips
2. ROOT CAVITIES: Also called as Root Caries or Root Decay. As mentioned earlier, root decay is caused by dry mouth and the root surface is softer as it doesn’t have enamel.
Our Buford Dentists at Lake Lanier Smiles are well trained to treat as well as prevent dental caries in seniors.
3. GUM DISEASE: Also called as Periodontal Disease. Gum disease occurs more frequently in older adults than younger adults.
Statistics show that African American and Hispanic seniors are affected more than white population.
Factors which will make it worse is lower education, smoking and low income.
What Our Buford Dentists at Lake Lanier Smiles do to better serve the Aging Population?
1. Medical History: The dentists take a detailed medical and dental history including the medication list. Based on this we can give a specific maintenance plan.
2. Preventive Care: preventing decay works at any age and it shouldn't stop for the aging population. Our dentists never give up on saving teeth.
3. Treat with Respect: At Lake Lanier Smiles we treat all adults with respect no matter their age or disability.
4. Trained Staff: We created a senior friendly dental office in Buford.
5. No Stereotypes: Our Buford dentists will make no assumptions. We offer all the treatment options with benefits and risks.
6. Affordable Dentistry: Lake Lanier Smiles offers affordable dental care for senior citizens. Please check our website at www.lakelaniersmiles.com
7. Dental Insurance: At Lake Lanier Smiles we accept most dental insurances and we will explain the available benefits of your insurance.
8. Treatment Plans: Our dentists develop both the short term treatment plan and long term treatment plan that fits the budget and dental needs.
9. Communication: At Lake Lanier Smiles we evaluate the understanding of the patient and discuss the treatment plans and their benefits and risks with senior patients or their kids, spouse or care givers
10. Convenient Dental Appointments: Lake Lanier Smiles offers early appointments and appointments that will be convenient for transportation and care givers schedule.
Along with providing optimum dental care, we have each staff member take different responsibilities of senior patient care.
LINKS for further information are below. Just Click on the link.
If you have any questions about your Oral Health of seniors or to make an appointment to see us, Call us at 770-831-0559 or visit us at WWW. LAKELANIERSMILES.COM for Valuable Coupons and Specials. Our prices are 30-50 % Off Regular Prices. Call Us before Noon and we will see you the Same Day. We accept most insurances. We are conveniently located just off I-985 at 4965 Lanier Islands Parkway, Suite 105, Buford, Ga- 30418. LAKE LANIER SMILES provides Affordable dental care with outstanding customer service to patients in Buford, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Cumming, Flowery Branch and surrounding areas.